Monday 17 July 2017

Driving through Snow to Wellington and Back

Hello Peeps,

On Tuesday Miss H, the Mother and I drove down to Wellington to visit the Geek. Miss H is on holiday at the moment.

Unfortunately they decided to go down the day before a major storm hit - well, it had already started actually.


This is the type of snow we had to drive through. 


Miss H crazily left the warmth of the car to take thes pictures for you. I, however stayed where it was warm (plus I was hiding)! 


Loo at the coolio snowmen some people made. 
You'll just have to picture me on top of their icy cold heads or on the wet ground...

New Zealand really doesn't have that many main roads. In fact, unless you take a looong detour there is really only one road down the centre, which is known as the Desert Road. It is quite literally a desert and in winter it gets snow... Yes, that confused my sheepie brain! 
Unfortunately, it was sooo snowed in that the Desert Road was closed and that meant the looong way. To give you an idea of the difference - usually a trip from Tauranga to wellington would take 6 hours, it took us 9!!! Whew! 
But fear not, it wasn't all in snow, in fact about an hour later there was not a snowflake in sight. No wonder they say NZ can have 4 seasons a day!


Ahhhh! There I am all nice and cosy with my special crochet beanie and cape. 

The storm hit Wellington quite severely with gale force winds. We all stayed inside except for the Geek who had to go to work - and as he doesn't drive Miss H and the Mother agreed to drop him off and pick him up so he didn't have to walk like usual.


The Mother took some fabrics down to cut up for a quilt. 
She also quilted a quilt for a friend's baby (actually he's just turned one). I will get her to photograph it when the binding is done.


And look at the wool Miss H got to crochet a blanket for the Mother. 

Oh and they went to a really coolio craft store, but you will have to wait and see what they got until they have made them into something. It might take a while knowing them... 


I, on the other hand, didn't leave the apartment once and stayed snugly with my favourite comfort food. YUM!


The weather did eventually clear, though Miss H tells me it was still really cold. Especially the wind.


It is hard to see but those faint mountains are in the South Island. 


The return trip home was much much better. And look how beautiful the mountain is with snow on it.


Brrrrr... Here are some of my crazy farm friends who don't seem to mind cold weather. 

Thankfully I am now back in Tauranga where we don't get snow and the weather is warmer. YAY!

Love from
Baa. xxx

P.S. Can all of you from the Northern Hemisphere please send us some of your warm summer weather? Hee...hee...hee...

4 comments:

  1. Yep we sure DO get four seasons in one day in this country of ours!! Love your cape & beanie Baa ... very stylish. Love the fabrics & wool purchases & look forward to seeing what they got from the craft store. Salted caramels ..... soooo yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrrr - I definitely don't envy you that trip and the awful white stuff. I hate it so I'm glad I wasn't there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't envy you your snow soon enough it will be back here, and you will be warm, and sunny. Cute hat baa. Even though a bit of a wool raising (hair raising) trip it looks like everyone arrived safely, and there were some crafty acquisitions made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the hat Baa! Great pictures Hannah. xx

    ReplyDelete